iterators+multithreading on win32

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:21:32 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Stephen F. Booth <me at sbooth.org> wrote:
> I've also run into crashes like this in the past, when I tried to realize
> speed increases by parsing several files simultaneously in separate threads.
>  It seems that if atomic increment/decrement were added to RefCounter, as
> long as a single file wasn't shared across threads then STL thread safety
> wouldn't be an issue.  I'm not sure which statics could affect this, as I
> haven't looked through the code in a while.  Is thread safety (or some level
> of it) something planned for a future release?

I don't think thread-safe TagLib is a particularly good idea. It would
cause too many speed penalties for no good reason. I definitely want
to be able to call different instances of TagLib classes from
different threads though. I believe that fixing the RefCounter should
be the only thing that is needed. The other static instances are
read-only, as far as I remember.

Lukas