TagLib 1.7 memory leak

Fulvio Senore mailing at fsoft.it
Thu Jun 23 22:10:26 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am a new TagLib user. I have just switched from id3lib to taglib for
an open source program that I am maintaining. The library interface is
much better than id3lib's and it looks like it is working well. The
author has done a very good job, thank you.

I am writing this message because I have a very strange problem. I am
developing in Windows XP, using Visual Studio 2003. When I run the debug
version of the program I receive a warning about a memory leak:

Detected memory leaks!
Dumping objects ->
{153} normal block at 0x00358000, 4 bytes long.
  Data: < g~ > 18 67 7E 00
Object dump complete.

This happens even if I do not call taglib at all. After some testing,
commenting away code, I discovered that it is enough to put the
following code in a function:

TagLib::FileRef f( "aaaaa" );

to cause the memory leak, even if that code is never executed. Of course
I also have a couple of includes:

#include <fileref.h>
#include <tag.h>

If I comment out the FileRef line I have no memory leak.

Of course if I run one of the taglib examples I have no memory leak.

It looks like just linking some TagLib code executes some init code, but
I do not know how the library works.

I realize that this is a really strange situation, and that probably
there are interactions among taglib and some other code, but I really
have no idea of what could be the cause.

Does anybody have an idea about how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Fulvio Senore