TagLib automatically copies data between tags

B G bgoldwork at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:33:40 CEST 2011

Hi all,

TagLib is exhibiting some strange behavior. When I try to null an ID3v1
frame (e.g. the ID3v1 title), and the equivalent frame is present in the
ID3v2 tag (e.g. TIT2), TagLib doesn't null it, but rather it copies the
ID3v2 frame value to the ID3v1 frame. Similarly, when I try to null or
completely remove an ID3v2 frame (e.g. TIT2), and the equivalent frame is
present in the ID3v1 tag (e.g. the ID3v1 title), TagLib doesn't null or
remove it, but rather it copies the ID3v1 frame value to the ID3v2 frame.

Why is TagLib doing this? I want to be able to set information in either tag
independently of the other, which is impossible given the current behavior.
If I wanted to copy information between tags, I would do it myself.

I've attached sample code that can reproduce the behavior. For what it's
worth, I'm using g++ on Mac OS X 10.6.7 with taglib-1.6.3.

Can this behavior be changed, or can someone explain the rationale behind
it?

Thanks,

Ben