tags..

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 08:51:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Michael Helmling
<helmling at mathematik.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> In case you are interested, I am working on a taglib wrapper which I call
> 'UTagLib' (U for unified) which realizes exactly that:
> https://github.com/supermihi/UTagLib
>
> It aims to provide a general tag interface via a map string -> list of
> strings (to support multiple values for the same tag, as most formats do).
> The approach is inspired by the python library 'mutagen' which does things
> similarly.
> Background routines try their best to realize this unified approach in
> various formats. FLAC and Ogg are simple since they handle tags in this way,
> ID3 support is a bit more involved because tag names not specified are
> mapped to TXXX frames etc.
> The wrapper is in a very early stage and not well tested yet, however it
> seems to work for FLAC, Ogg and MP3 which are the only formats I use.

I had a similar idea, but the implementation was a little different.
There would be an generic tag container (string->stringlist) that
would be completely independent of the file format. Every file format
implementation would then have two functions to import and export the
internal tags into the generic container. For now these functions
would be non-virtual and you would have to dynamic_cast the pointers
to get the right functionality, but in TagLib 2 we would simply make
them virtual and everything would just work.

What do you think about this approach? Would you be interested to work
on this as part of TagLib, not a separate library?

Lukas