Genre Numbers in ID3v2.4

Thomas Post post at equinux.com
Wed Mar 3 16:56:05 CET 2010

Thank's for the details!

So I go for a non standard but iTunes compatibility solution. I know this is not really sweet but in this case the iTunes compatibility is more important. And once again I can blame iTunes but I'm not sure if it can take it anymore... I had to blame it too much lately ;-)

Thomas

On 03.03.2010, at 12:37, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Thomas Post <post at equinux.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have some ID3v4 tags with a number as a genre. Now when the taglib parses
>> the tag it reads the number and the getter returns the according genre from
>> the ID3v1 genres list. But now when I write some tags (without changing the
>> genre tag), tag lib writes the genre number to the genre tag. But just the
>> number without brackets. The standard describes it with brackets!
>
> It doesn't. You are reading the ID3v2.3 specification. In ID3v2.4 it's
> just numbers.
>
>> Effect: other softwares like iTunes just show the number and not the according
>> genre.
>
> That's a bug in iTunes. It can be worked around, but it would be
> unfair to blame TagLib.
>
>> Now I tried to fix that but I'm not shore if this is the right way. When
>> reading the genre in FrameFactory::updateGenre( convert the genre numbers to
>> the according genre name and when rendering the Genre frame convert them
>> back to a correct genre number with brackets.
>
> Using parentheses around the numbers would be incorrect according to
> the ID3v2.4 specification. Not syntactically incorrect, but they would
> be parsed as textual genres.
>
>> Or the other way is that I save the genre number with the brackets in
>> the updateGenre method and only convert it to the according text in the
>> genre getter.
>> An other option would be just convert the number in the beginning to the
>> according text and save the text. But with that I would loose localized
>> genres in some applications.
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Saving textual genres is the best option, if you don't want to break
> applications that properly support ID3v2.4.
>
> --
> Lukas Lalinsky
> lalinsky at gmail.com

equinux Aktiengesellschaft
Informationstechnologien
Kirschstraße 35
80999 München - Germany
Tel. +49-89-520465-339
Fax +49-89-520465-299
mailto:post at equinux.de
http://www.equinux.com/de
Vorstand: Till Schadde  -  Aufsichtsrat: Stefan Neuenhahn
USt-IdNr.: DE206360115  -  Sitz München  -  HRB München 129700

equinux USA, Inc.
100 Produce Ave. Suite L, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Toll free: 1-888-equinux (1-888-3784689)
http://www.equinux.com

Stay updated what's going on at equinux
equinux Blog | equinux @ Twitter | equinux @ Facebook