Run-Time Check Failure #0 when using taglib with MSVC 2008

jon bird news at onastick.clara.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 12:33:34 CET 2010

In article <5288a561001100050h74840239x68a72aafe715339a at mail.gmail.com>,
Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky at gmail.com> writes
>On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Hypo Thetical
><hypothetical25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I keep running in to the following run time error. How do i resolve this?
>>
>> "Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across
>> a function call.  This is usually a result of calling a function declared
>> with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a
>> different calling convention."
>>
>> btw, I wasn't able to figure out how to search the archives in case someone
>> else has already run in to this, so posting. please feel free to point me to
>> any search links or to any prior posts that answer this.
>>
>[...]
>>
>> I'm using tablib-1.5-msvc. I am linking to tab.lib.
>>
>> Platform: MSVC 9.0 .NET 3.5 SP1 running on Vista
>>
>> any info would be most appreciated!
>
>tablib-1.5-msvc was compiled with MSVC 7, which is most likely not
>binary compatible with MSVC 9. I'd suggest to install CMake and
>compile the latest version of TagLib (1.6.1).

it's probably the same issue I bumped into:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2008-July/000973.html

they are almost certainly dynamically linked to different run time
library DLLs which will play merry hell with memory management. I build
taglib successfully from scratch using 2008 Express (which is VC6 I
believe) without any difficulty.

--
== jon bird - software engineer
== <reply to address _may_ be invalid, real mail below>