Genre becomes a Numeric value

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Sep 15 21:54:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Manfred Schwind <lists at mani.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tested taglib. Great piece of software! But I discovered
> something strange: I have an MP3 file whose Genre shows up e.g. as
> "Rock". But after rewriting the Tag with taglib, it becomes e.g. "17".
> Is this a known bug?

That's normal - the ID3 format allows you to do that.

It should still display in application as the correct thing - "Rock"
in this case.

Unfortunately, iTunes implements this incorrectly (I reported the bug
to apple some months ago, but haven't heard back). I'm attaching a
patch I wrote to work around this.

I can't remember if this patch went to upstream taglib bugzilla or not
- I can't find it there, so I guess not, oops.

Mike