M4A genre parsing in TagLib 1.6

patrick machielse patrick at hieper.nl
Thu Oct 29 16:11:21 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm using TagLib 1.6 to parse tags in aac/m4a files. The metadata for
these has been edited with iTunes (9.x) (this will be the most likely
scenario for this type of files, I suppose).

I have noticed that the String returned for genre() is consistently
different (wrong) for _some_ genres. For example:

iTunes 'Alternative' => TagLib reads 'Ska'
iTunes 'Ska' => TagLib reads 'Death Metal'

However, on genres such as 'Alternative & Punk' and 'Classical' iTunes
and TagLib are in complete agreement...

Is this a known issue (not pointing a finger to either iTunes or
TagLib)? Is there a build option to default to iTunes genres, or is
there some other solution?

Thanks,
patrick
--