TagLib development

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:05:56 CET 2009

Hi,
we have discussed possible VCS options for TagLib development with
Jeff and Scott some time ago, but I'd like to reopen the discussion
here and make it a little more general. I'm not entirely happy with
the infrastructure TagLib is using for development. There are two main
things:

Bug tracker: No matter how many projects use BugZilla, I find it a
horrible bug tracker. I just got a bug report on IRC, only because
submitting a proper bug report is not as easy as it should be. This
made me wonder how many bug reports are we missing because of this.
I'd like to move the TagLib bug tracker to something that doesn't
require the user to go through a multi-page wizard with KDE-specific
options that don't apply to TagLib, just to submit a bug report. Does
anybody have a reason for not doing this? Two possible candidates I
had in mind are Google Code and Launchpad. Any other options?

VCS: There are many people with custom TagLib forks, so using a
distributed VCS would probably make sense. Another reason for
switching a DVCS is that it will take some time until TagLib 2.x is
out, so I'll need to have a branch for 1.x as well. I've been avoiding
committing incompatible changes to SVN trunk, but I'd like to start
working on some incompatible things. So, so far I've heard requests
about moving to Git, but unfortunately this isn't really an option for
me. I'd like to do this:

 * Keep TagLib 1.x in SVN, with a Bazaar mirror
 * Use Bazaar for TagLib 2.x

Any objections to this? (I'm mainly looking for opinions of people who
contributed patches to TagLib or have a custom version of TagLib.
Please, let's not turn this to a general VCS discussion.)

--
Lukas Lalinsky
lalinsky at gmail.com