Support "album artist" and "artist sort" in TagLib::Tag interface?

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Fri Jan 9 01:41:09 CET 2009

Hi all,

I wanted to throw out the suggestion of adding support for "album artist" and
"artist sort" to the TagLib::Tag interface.  Specifically, I'd like to discuss
adding the following member functions:

    virtual String albumArtist() const = 0;
    virtual void setAlbumArtist(const String &s) = 0;

    virtual String artistSort() const = 0;
    virtual void setArtistSort(const String &s) = 0;

This would imply adding implementations of these functions to all of the
derived classes of TagLib::Tag.  Of course, the complication is that not all
of the supported tag formats has support for these concepts, particularly
ID3v1.

So I'd like to ask the list what their collective thoughts are on how to
handle situations such as these.  The concepts of "album artist" and "artist
sort" are broadly supported by much audio software, so I can definitely see an
argument for supporting these concepts at the abstract level of the Tag
interface.  However, what should the behavior be for formats (such as ID3v1)
that do not support such concepts?

--
Jason Voegele
As with all the other proposals, it's basically just a list of words.