TagLib Mac OS X Framework

Joël Lopes Da Silva joel at lopes-da-silva.com
Thu Oct 16 23:57:54 CEST 2008

Hello,

Chris Verwymeren wrote:
> I have encountered an issue when using the TagLib Mac OS X framework
> available from the website. Including the framework and attempting to
> build and run my application results in the following error:
>
> [Session started at 2008-09-20 11:51:28 -0500.]
> dyld: Library not loaded: /TagLib.framework/Versions/1/TagLib
>    Referenced from: /Users/cverwymeren/Projects/test/build/Release/
> test.app/Contents/MacOS/test
>    Reason: image not found
>
> The Debugger has exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).The Debugger has
> exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).

Actually, I encountered exactly the same issue. I have been struggling
for hours with Xcode: since I'm new to the development on the Mac, I
was convinced I was making a silly mistake when linking with Xcode.
However, I got my program to work using the version of
"TagLib.framework" used in another project: http://sbooth.org/Play/

> I ran otool on the TagLib framework binary and the shared library
> settings appear as follows:
>
> $ otool -L TagLib
> TagLib:
>         /TagLib.framework/Versions/1/TagLib (compatibility version 1.5.0,
> current version 1.5.0)
>         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
> 1.2.3)
>         /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
> version 7.4.0)
>         /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 111.0.0)

I compared the two "otool -L TagLib" (the one of the
"TagLib.framework" available on TagLib website, and the one used by
Play); while I found exactly the same output as cited above for the
first one, the output for Play's version of "TagLib.framework" is the
following:

% otool -L TagLib
TagLib:
	@executable_path/../Frameworks/taglib.framework/Versions/A/taglib
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.3.6)

> I believe the Deployment -> Installation Directory setting was
> incorrectly set in the build options for the framework and this is
> causing the problem. The setting should be set to @executable_path/../
> Frameworks.

Since this other version of "TagLib.framework" worked perfectly, and
since it uses "@executable_path/../Frameworks/" as Installation
Directory, I think you are right.

I found this piece of documentation that explains perfectly how to do
it properly: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Tasks/CreatingFrameworks.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002258-106880-BAJJBIEF

Therefore, do you think you could try to do it and upload to the
website a corrected "TagLib.framework"? If you want, I could also do
it myself if you could provide me the actual version of the Framework
Xcode project.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

PS: Sorry for breaking the message thread, but I couldn't find any
"Message-ID" in the official archives of the mailing list.

--
Joël Lopes Da Silva