TagLib doesn't handle xiphcomments spread over multiple ogg pages

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Jun 11 18:03:46 CEST 2008

Sander Jansen wrote:
> I can quote specs as well: "Packets are not restricted to beginning and ending within a page".

Sure -- I'm not saying that it's not a bug in TagLib, just that the case
where you're likely to go over the 64 kb limit of a page is if you're
abusing what the comments are for.

> But that is besides the point. Putting album art in a comment block makes much more sense than putting it in a separate logical stream (for which there is no spec).

Perhaps for your application, but not for those that inter-op with it
and follow the spec by assuming all data there to be human readable.
I'd really discourage this use of comments.

> Anyway, in the mean time, I'll start using my own ogg vorbis reader for this then :)

I'll probably fix this in TagLib at some point, but it's just not
something that I feel is especially urgent -- notably since this bug has
been there since the first release of TagLib 4.5 years ago and this is
the first time it's been reported.