TagLib 1.5 Release

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Feb 25 23:11:39 CET 2008

Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> The thing is that they already do distribute it. For example they don't
> seem to mind to have it as part of Amarok. Specifically Fedora even used
> to have a back-ported patch, not just vanilla source tarball, to fix the
> ASF support in Amarok.
Why didn't they send it to us to fix upstream?  :-(

> My problem is that the same code is used also in
> other applications, which again distributions don't mind to package, but
> the problem with these "mini-forks" is that I find a bug it's much
> easier to fix in TagLib, which fixes it for all of them, than to fix it
> in my source tree and ping the authors to update their packages.
>
> Anyway, I think a build-time option to disable these formats should take
> care of any issues.

Yes, please, please do.  I didn't even know, for instance, that there
was an ASF branch alive and kicking somewhere until recently, at which
point I updated the code in Amarok but ran into issues because at one
point we, or upstream, had called it WMA instead.  Plus we now had to
add a bunch of configure checks in against Taglib 1.5 because some of
the formats are now supported directly in Taglib so we had to remove our
support to avoid duplicate symbols if Taglib 1.5 was on the system.

Point being, it would simplify things greatly to have all of the work
done in one tree and disabled by default, but simply enabled by anyone
with the legal right/illegal desire to access the code.

--Jeff