Extending TagLib::Tag's interface.

Peter van Hardenberg pvh at songbirdnest.com
Tue Apr 22 23:22:43 CEST 2008

>> For ID3v2, I was considering following iTunes' example and creating a comment with that fieldname as description.

> Consider doing this properly and using e.g. User-Defined Text
> Information frames as in part 4.2.6 of the id3v2.4 standard.

> Just because iTunes doesn't follow the standard doesn't mean you
> shouldn't either...   :-)

> --Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You're absolutely right. I always prefer to follow the standard. At the same time, I'd like to be able to read iTunes' data and maintain compatibility with it. TagLib has bowed to what is effectively iTunes' "bug" around ID3v2 genre tags, but I think a compelling case can be made for eliminating the numeric genre altogether.

What is Amarok doing these days with in-track storage of metadata?

-pvh