Howdy guys. Sorry for the crosspost. Patch to speed up taglib.

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Oct 12 04:28:11 CEST 2007

Speaking as an Amarok guy, I'm all for anything that gets rid of cache
thrashing and makes computers (slower or not) usable.  I don't see much of a
problem myself, but my collection is on a network drive over a wireless
connection...

I'm not entirely sure what's happening for 2.0 yet.  I've heard rumors of
Xesam interface to Strigi, with Strigi reading all the information (which may
or may not be using taglib...I dunno even if there is an MP3 parser for
Strigi yet, although I wouldn't be surprised).

The reason I bring this up is because I'm not sure how relevant such a patch
would be for Amarok 2.0 (which I assume will still make heavy use of taglib
for collection scanning, but maybe indirectly through Strigi, in which case
this patch may only help if Strigi can actually scan fast enough to take
advantage of it).  And no distro that I know of is going to make a taglib
snapshot with such a patch that would be used for Amarok 1.4.x.  Despite our
strong advice, half of them seem to still be using the official 1.4 tarball.
So it may be worth looking into Strigi, Xesam, and the like -- after all,
since Strigi will be integrated into KDE4 while Amarok 2.0 will not, if it
will be doing MP3 scanning you may have an even larger target audience.

A few other comments:

1) You have a couple comments in there asking about compile time options.  You
can use #ifdef and #endif statements for that, but how you specify those
defines depends on the build system...another KDE3/KDE4 difference.

2) I can't help but wonder if perhaps a better idea would be to implement it
as a separate API call, which basically calls these functions and then calls
the original function.  That way the application could specify the
appropriate method depending on what it's doing, instead of trying to
hard-code it at compile time one way or the other.

Thanks for the kind words for Amarok on your post, and glad for the
assistance!

--Jeff