First results of my evaluation of taglib against id3tag

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 10 03:44:03 CET 2007

Xavier--

Does this file happen to be VBR?  Chances are that this file is a variable
bit-rate file without a Xing header.  These files's lenghts cannot be
determined accurately without scanning and parsing ever frame of the file.

Making this assumption, as far as taglib and VBR-sans-Xing, I was thinking of
working on having taglib do the accurate calculation as at the Amarok list
and IRC channel we've gotten some complaints.  But after talking with some
other people I'm no longer convinced that this is the best thing to do.
People whose collections are mostly VBR-sans-Xing will incur huge overhead
any time they load a file, scan collections, etc.

Please see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bugs-dist&m=116688576526501&w=2

--Jeff