Please do not shoot: ASF read support

William Pitcock nenolod at atheme.org
Sat Jan 6 00:08:17 CET 2007

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> It needs to be clear that it's from an LGPL'ed project or less
> restrictive and that it draws from proper reverse engineering, not the
> official spec.  I mentioned MPlayer specifically because they've got a
> reputation for mostly disregarding such things.  (I have no problems
> with the project, but in that regard I don't want to incorporate their
> code.)

This may be of help:

   http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/asfheader.txt

I did some tinkering with ASF files -- and figured that much out. There is
an extended content header which has freeform tags in UTF-16, which look
like:

   W.M./.G.e.n.r.e.=.E.l.e.c.t.r.o.n.i.c.

(where . is \0x0)

Anyway, with this information, somebody should be able to implement clean
ASF container support -- both read/write for TagLib.