Please do not shoot: ASF read support

Umesh Shankar ushankar at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 5 20:40:39 CET 2007

Hi all,

  I'm that guy that wanted WMA back in the day, and basically hacked it
up to get something working. Fortunately, there is a nicer
implementation that doesn't use mplayer sources and supports both
reading and writing (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=taglib-devel&m=113365793626227&w=2).  It made
its way into Amarok:
http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&q=+lalinsk%3F+show:zeiX03IyRo0:usKRzNnyrIs:h9jy4mKXGIo&sa=N&cd=6&ct=rc&cs_p=ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/snapshots/kdeextragear-multimedia.tar.bz2&cs_f=kdeextragear-multimedia-585268/amarok/src/metadata/wma/wmatag.cpp#a0
. So really all that needs to be done is to package that up and
distribute it separately.

Scott, it's been a long time but last time I tried to make a separable
package, I couldn't get it to work because there wasn't a registration
mechanism that could be reliably invoked without modifying Taglib. Has
that changed more recently? Are there successful add-ons that use this
mechanism?

Umesh