Extensions, mods

Linus Walleij linus.ml.walleij at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:05:02 CEST 2007

Hi,

thanks for taglib, I recently introduced it to my pet-project
"gnomad2" in order to read/write Ogg/FLAC metadata.
Works like a charm, great work.

I want to switch over to taglib also for MP3 but there are
a few features missing I'd like to have, so I'm planning to
submit patches, if they are welcome. Please hit me now
if you don't want any of these so I'm not wasting my time:

1. Add stripping of tags to the C binding. (Shouldn't be
   very controversial.)

2. Add abstraction for "TLEN" in ID3v2 to be
   written/read as and audioproperty. The idea is to
   let TLEN take precedence when getting playlength.
   Some people
   believe this is superfluous since the info is on the stream
   itself, but I think it's useful on things that are VBR and
   missing Xing tags, since it speeds up songlength
   retrieveal. (Let me know what you think, I managed to
   have this property added to cmdline "lame" version
   3.98, forthcoming so there WILL be files with TLEN
   tags in foreseeable future). Expose as abstract
   property, add to C API.

3. Detect and atleast remove during stripping the horrid
   "RIFFWAVE" header that some Windows programs
   insist on adding to whatever they encode to MP3.

4. Perhaps find some way of exposing ID3v2 "TOFN"
   (original filename) which I find useful, but which is
   in a sense of quite low interest.

Yours,
Linus Walleij