m4a tagging support?

Jochen Issing jochen at mcf-music.de
Sat Sep 16 11:32:07 CEST 2006

Hi Brian,

thanks for your quick answer.
Well as I am somewhat familar with the mp4 file format and thought about the
problem for some time already, I know about several solutions/hacks.
If yours is yet another one, let me know.

The hacks:
* take the whole moov-box, replace it with a free box and place it afterwards
the mdat box. This avoids recalculation of any offsets, though it makes the
structure of the mp4 file slightly worse. Anyway, the file format is still
conformant, but one wastes the size of a whole moov box.
* Ignore the free boxes and recalculate always everything. This solution has
no special cases and still preserves the mp4 file structure

The solution:
* Take the free/skip boxes into account and use it for buffering. If the size
of the modified moov box exceeds the size of the old moov box, rewrite the
offset table and add new buffers (free-boxes) at iTunes style positions.

I thought about adding another proxy or (free-space) manager, at which every
free box registers itself on parsing. If any meta data changes, it reports
the change of its size to the proxy/manager, which takes care of any
restructuring.

If I understood you correctly, this is somewhat similar to your approach
except for the proxy? Anyway, the placement of offset tables is a difficult
field and I would say, that the mp4 file mechanism has its advantages.
Although in this case, they are a bit inconvenient and make me hesitate from
implementing write support.

Cheers,

jochen

--