TODO - The Windows Geschischte

Lukáš Lalinský lalinsky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 01:43:42 CEST 2006

mETz wrote:
> Here some comparison about cmake vs. pure msvc projects:
>
> pro cmake:
> - works with pure MinGW (automake needs CygWin or MSYS)
> - works on unix ;)
> - used by kde4 ;)
> - allows targets for packaging and install, unlike msvc projects AFAIK
>
> con cmake:
> - needs cmake (but then automake also has deps)
> - msvc projects do not look as clean as handmade ones

I've never used cmake before, but my first experience is that it doesn't seem to
work that well:

-----------------------

E:\projects\taglib.win32\taglib.metz>cmake .
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_FULLPATH-NOTFOUND" was not fou
nd.   Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
-- Check for CL compiler version
-- Check for CL compiler version - 1310
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler
-- Check if this is a free VC compiler - no
-- Check CL platform
-- Check CL platform - 32 bit
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2
003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe
CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_FULLPATH-NOTFOUND" was not fou
nd.   Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2
003/Vc7/bin/cl.exe -- broken
The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003/Vc7/bin/cl.ex
e" is not able to compile a simple test program.
It fails with the following output:

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
-- Configuring done

But in the same shell, with the same environment, I'm able to compile TagLib
using a Makefile and a SCons script. Also I don't really understand the error
about missing RC compiler, as I can run it from the command line just fine, but
I don't think that's relevant here.

Is this problem only with my setup?