Using patched taglib in a non open source software...

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sun Apr 9 15:00:11 CEST 2006

On Sunday 09 April 2006 01:21, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Michael Pyne wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 April 2006 15:17, Pierre Chatelier wrote:
> >> Thanks for the clarification,

> > Also, and I am not a lawyer but this seems to be very important, but the
> > end user must be able to replace the TagLib library you provide with one
> > of their own choosing.
>
> That's certainly an interesting interpretation of the LGPL unknown to me.

Check http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

In Section 6, paragraph a) and b) it states that you must:
 a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding machine-readable source
code for the Library including whatever changes were used in the work (which
must be distributed under Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if the work is an
executable linked with the Library, with the complete machine-readable "work
that uses the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the user
can modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified executable
containing the modified Library.

 b) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the Library. A
suitable mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a copy of the library
already present on the user's computer system, rather than copying library
functions into the executable, and (2) will operate properly with a modified
version of the library, if the user installs one, as long as the modified
version is interface-compatible with the version that the work was made with.

So, no, it is not an interpretation, it is actually part of the LGPL.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne