simple command-line app?

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Wed Sep 7 07:03:07 CEST 2005

Hey, thanks. :)

As it turns out, the same tagwriter app is almost perfect for what I
want. The only problem I have with it is with non-latin characters...
it seems that iTunes expects fields to be in UTF-8, and it seems that
taglib likes UTF-16. For instance, I could make a field be equal to

可以用中文描述嗎

in iTunes, but then that field is garbage to taglib. Or I could set
it to that with tagwriter, and while tagreader sees it properly,
iTunes does not. However, if I set it in iTunes, and then output all
the tag fields using to8Bit(true) in taglib, then I can properly sees
what iTunes writes, like so:

       cout << "title   - \"" << tag->title().to8Bit(true)   << "\""
<< endl;

That implies to me that iTunes is using UTF-8.

So my big question is, how do I get taglib to prefer UTF-8 over
UTF-16? My c++ skills aren't exactly sharp.... :(