fractional part of audio length

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 01:50:02 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 13:48, Ferenc Gerlits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Taglib in <a
> href="http://livesupport.campware.org">LiveSupport</a>, and we need to
> be able to read audio file lengths more precisely than rounded to the
> nearest second, so I wrote this patch.
>
> It is not complete: it only works for mp3 and ogg/vorbis files, and
> returns 0 as the fractional part of the length of flac and mpc files.
> (Because that's all we need for our project right now.)
>
> I hope you'll find it useful.

Unfortunately there's no way to add this in a binary compatible way -- you're
not allowed to add new virtual members to classes, so this would only be
considered for TagLib 2.0 (which comes at some indeterminate point in the
future).

That said, there are a couple of things:

- naturally it would have to be implemented for all formats

- I'm not sure that this is "in scope" for TagLib -- but I'd be interested in
hearing feedback on this from others on this list

- I'm not sure how much I would trust the rest of the calculations in TagLib
to be accurate in environments where you need microsecond precision (related
to the item above)

New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin.
 --Mark Twain