taglib on windows with visual studio

Stefan Gehn mETz81 at web.de
Tue Jul 12 19:16:27 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 12. Juli 2005 00:37 schrieb Roel:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to get taglib to compile with MS Visual Studio (version
> .Net 2003). My goal was to not have to make any changes to the taglib
> sources but unfortunately I cannot seem to find a way to get that done.
> I did manage to get the sample running but the problems I encountered
> were as follows:

LOL, is this a joke? I just did almost the same and posted it to the list last
week.

> - There is no unistd.h on windows. That wasn't too bad, I just created a

MinGW fixes that.

> - Then finally, the biggest problem. Because of the license of taglib I
> needed to compile it as a dll. But on windows for the creation of dlls,

The license wouldn't make a difference, linking to a dll is the same as
linking in a static lib. And anyway, what's your problem? AFAIK linking
taglib into a commercial application is ok because it's LGPL.

> one needs to mark all symbols to be exported with __declspec(dllexport).
> This requires modifying the taglib sources. So I tried to circumvent it

did that already.

> Now I would still like a solution where I don't have to create my own
> version of taglib every time a new version comes out. Options are:

just get a testing tarball from my site and wait for the next taglib release
that will hopefully include win32-support and a binary-release. AFAIK one can
also link to libs created by MinGW, there's quite a few points about how to
do that in their FAQ.

> Failing this I'm willing to create a version of taglib that has the
> above changes and provide dll's on my own website, but of course if at
> all possible I'd like to avoid the work.

As already stated, I'm in the process of doing exactly that, right now I'm
just missing feedback.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz