Header File Layout

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Thu Sep 2 18:32:39 CEST 2004

Greetings, Taggers!

I am in the midst of integrating TagLib into the following project:

	http://www.salemradiolabs.com/rivendell/

and have some questions regarding layout of TagLib's header files.  The
default installation for TagLib 1.2 [./configure ; make ; make install] on my
system puts the headers in '/usr/local/include/taglib/', which is what I
would expect.  However, Autoconf is then unable to find them.  Specifically,
doing AC_CHECK_HEADER([taglib/tag.h],[FOO=yes],[]) fails, because 'tag.h'
contains an '#include <tstring.h>'.  Since 'tstring.h' is part of TagLib, and
is hence installed in '/usr/local/include/taglib/', it is *not* in the
standard INCLUDE path, and so Autoconf fails it as being unusable.

So, my dilemma is this:  how can I relably detect TagLib?  Some solutions that
have occured to me are:  1)  Change the '#include <tstring.h>' in 'tag.h' to
'#include <taglib/tstring.h> or 2) define a $TAGLIBDIR variable in in the
environment (somewhat analogously to $QTDIR) to allow the library to be
found.  Both 'solutions' would involve changes in the way TagLib is currently
installed, and so are probably not optimum.  What's the best way to proceed
here?  I'm trying to avoid simply defining a hard include path, as that can
break in various ways --e.g. when building RPMs.

Thanks for listening...

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|                      When your client's hopping mad,                    |
|                      Put his picture in the ad.                         |
|                      If he still should prove refractory,               |
|                      Add a picture of his factory.                      |
|                                     -- The Advertising Agency Song      |