[Social-Desktop] Social Desktop Mailing List

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 27 00:04:52 CET 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 20:22:21 George McLachlan wrote:
>               Albeit I have only had the chance to skim over the spec. I
> should find some time tonight to have a good look.
>
> So think of this suggestion as a straw man, something that might kick off
> some discussion, and I may be heading in the wrong direction.
>
> I think it would be nice to have a common data model which others could
> inherit from.  I don't really want to tie a client into a set of services,
> while each piece of work could in theory implement their own model there is
> not a lot of reuse there.
>
> While I have been working on this client I have played about with a common
> model. Each service would inherit from it. On top of that all of these
> child classes would return a generic type, in my case I called them
> IFragment. It is then up to the person implementing  the UI to convert them
> to suit the UI they wish to use.
>
> Um, discuss.....(hopefully)

I think this common data model would need a first prototype implementation.
I'm not much of a fan of defining a standard and then seeing if it's any
useful. That should be driven by need and interest.

That said, we're looking at Nepomuk currently to provide this common data
structure, and semantic relations on top of that. I imagine that Nepomuk at
some point can be queried for a certain contact, and information from social
desktop services and locally stored information is tied together and presented
throught this concept of a contact. Likewise with other concepts.
--
sebas