Call for testing

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Fri Oct 2 20:37:59 BST 2020

Hi!

It's about time to release a new version of RKWard, and we need your
help for testing. For those, who have not been following the
development, the key feature to look out for is that RKWard can now use
kate plugins. Importantly, this brings a much awaited "Search in
Files"-feature, but also many other goodies such as "Project"
management for source repositories, and Previews for bibtex referennces.

Beyond this, code completion features have been improved in the R
Console window, and a first run wizard now checks for common setup
issues.

A tentative release timeline with further links can be found at
https://rkward.kde.org/Release_Schedule.html . The most important
download links are also given, below.

Thanks!
Thomas

-- Mac users (and anybody with access to a Mac) --
- Get the latest DMG from
  https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/MacOS/job/RKWard_Nightly_macos/

- You will have to install R, separately (if you don't already have it).
  Currently any version between 3.4 and 3.6 should work. I'm planning
  to update the requirement to 4.0.0 and higher before the release,
  though.

- No further configuration should be needed. RKWard should detect the
  newest version of R installed.

-- Windows users --
- Get the latest installer from
  https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Windows%20MingW/job/RKWard_Nightly_mingw64/

- R 4.0.2 is included in the bundle. You should be able to start RKWard
  right away. (Actually, it's R 3.6.2 right now, but will be R 4.0.2 on
  tomorrow's build).

- If you have a separate version of R installed on this machine, please
  also try the following: Edit the rkward.ini file (inside the
  "bin" folder of your RKWard installation), changing the content to "R
  executable=auto". In theory this should detect your external R
  installation and use that.

-- Linux / BSD users --
- Compile the lastest git master version from source, or install one of
  the nightly builds, if we provide one for your distribution
  (https://rkward.kde.org/RKWard_Source_Repository.html).

- Should you have several versions of R installed, try
  switching between versions using the --r-executable commandline
  parameter.