Graphing a piece-wise defined function in RKward

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Dec 19 14:58:48 UTC 2016

hi michael,

Am Montag, 19. Dezember 2016, 09:26:09 CET schrieb Philip (Michael) Dykes:
> I am very new to both R and Rkward and am trying to plot the following:
>
> f(x)=    x^2, if x <= 2,
>              6-x, if x > 2.
>
> How can I do this in Rkward? Also, I would like the graph (plot) to look
> as much as possible like the graph I was in this book (attached).

this is a very basic R question, and general R support is far beyond the scope
if this mailing list (and, well, you should not send attachments to mailing
lists).

but FWIW, here's a hint to get you a little closer to what you want to
achieve:

  piecewise <- function(x){
    if(x <= 2){
      y <- x^2
    } else {
      y <- 6-x
    }
    return(y)
  }

  plot(sapply(-3:6, piecewise))

you should try to work yourself through some basic R tutorials, there's a lot
of them out there on the web ;-)

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
  dipl. psych. meik michalke