[rkward-users] rkward console encoding problem on Widows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 11 11:42:36 UTC 2014

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your research. I can't make too much sense of this right now
(particularly the discrepancy between summary() and levels() is totally
puzzling!), but will give it a closer look in time. If you make any further
related observations, please record them in this ticket:
https://sourceforge.net/p/rkward/bugs/136/ .

One small bit I can clarify:

On Tuesday 11 November 2014 11:11:29 Donatas Glodenis wrote:
> > Encoding(test$var)<- "ISO8859-13"
>
> ## I took the string ISO8859-13 from the code of spss import dialog
>
> > Encoding(test$var)
>
> [1] "unknown" "unknown" "unknown"
> ## strange, the iso encoding setting does not work; I also tried
> "ISO885913" and "ISO-8859-13", "CP1257", "WINDOWS-1257" - no luck

Encoding is what R knows about a string it has already stored. This can only
take the values "UTF-8", "latin1", "bytes", and "unknown". "bytes" mean it is
probably not a printable string in the first place. "unknown" essentially
means that R will take this string as encoded in the "native" encoding, i.e.
ISO-8859-13 or CP1257 in your case.