[rkward-users] [rkward:discussion] RKWard 0.6.1 with R 3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 --takes too long to open the help window

Thomas Friedrichsmeier tfry at users.sf.net
Mon May 6 17:18:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've seen the help window taking somewhat long to load on occasion, too. I did not see this, often, so I can't be sure, but so far, my impression was that this would happen when opening a help page for the first time, after e.g. installing / updating packages. In other words, so far, I believe, this is simply a cache issue.

What about the second time you open a help page, i.e.:
~~~~~~
?ls      # Wait for it to load, then
?print
~~~~~~

Does this come up faster? If it does not, and you see this, consistently, could you compare this in firefox and konqueror? Is it fast in both stand-alone browsers? (Note: To get the relevant port number you can run .rk.getHelpBaseUrl(), although this will produce a warning; or set options(browser="konqueror")).

> Also, I noticed that when I open RKWard the window goes gray for a whilev(20-30 seconds), which also didn't happen before the update.

Which window, exactly? Does the problem persist on a subsequent start? (One thing RKWard does on startup (and has been doing since many versions) is to call installed.packages(), which can take quite a while, if you have many packages installed, and the disk cache is cold. During this time, the status indicator icon in the lower right corner will remain yellow, and no other R command will be run. Most parts of the UI should still work, though.)

---
[RKWard 0.6.1 with R 3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 --takes too long to open the help window](https://sourceforge.net/p/rkward/discussion/165574/thread/94e14198/?limit=25#ac9f)

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in <https://sourceforge.net/p/rkward/discussion/165574/>