[rkward-users] newbie question

Ilan Tal ilan.tal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:43:05 UTC 2013

I am trying to get started and have made a work sheet containing country
and mean life expectancy. (This data I downloaded.) If it were CSV I could
import it but it has a space between the country string and the number.
I saw there was something like val=table[,2] to pick the second value from
the table but I don't know how to make that happen here.
I can press the Code key and it generates code to do basic statistics, but
I don't know how to modify the code to pick up the second value in my data.
Obviously it can't do the basic statistics because of the country string I
have fouling up the works.

Maybe there is a method to split the data into 2 variables but I haven't
figured out how to do such a thing.

In short, how do I get it to do something useful for me?

Thanks,
Ilan