[rkward-users] Command line limit

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 22 18:12:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 May 2012, Birk Diedenhofen wrote:
> > have you actually tried this in RKWard? Because to the best of my
> > knowledge, we do not have this bug.
>
> Yes, simply run the code generated by this command
>
>    paste("x<-'", paste(rep("|_", 2048), collapse=""), "'", sep="")
>
> and print(x). At the end of the output you should see that one underscore
> (the 4096th character of the line generated above) is missing:
> "..._|_|_||_|_|_...". If you add a line break behind "x<-", rerun the code
> and print(x) again, the missing character moves further down the string.

ah, indeed. I did not do enough testing (the R variant of the bug is more
likely to produce a syntax error, and therefore to show immediate symptoms).

This should now be fixed in our SVN version (http://p.sf.net/rkward/svn). It
would be nice, if you could do some testing, too. Let us know, if you find any
further issues.

> I tried your example and pasted more than 100 times
>   x <- "This statement is without a point"
> into the console, with and without surrounding curly brackets.
>
> Both times I get this error:

Hm, I could have sworn the bug shows only with the curly brackets, but you are
right, it also shows without. No idea what might be the cause, here. Anyway,
the take-home-message is:
* Pasting any larger pieces of code into a plain R console is buggy.
* RKWard is not (any longer) affected by this bug / these bugs.

> I guess that your and my example expose two different problems.

Yes, probably.