[rkward-users] Command line limit

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 22 08:12:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Monday 21 May 2012, Birk Diedenhofen wrote:
>  Hi!
>
> I just found out that the length of a command line entered into the R
> console is limited to 4096 characters. In fact, the 4096th character is
> replaced by a line break. Thus, one character is missing in your code,
> which can cause a lot of strange errors!
>
> I think it would be great if rkward could avoid such problems. This could
> be achieved, for example, by automatically adding a line break before the
> 4096th character (instead of replacing it) whenever the command line limit
> is exceeded.

have you actually tried this in RKWard? Because to the best of my knowledge,
we do not have this bug.

I ran into this bug in "plain" R, before. And in fact, IIRC, it does not only
affect long lines, but any long top-level statement(*). I believe the problem
is that when R's console exceeds the buffer, it will try to read another
_line_, even if the last thing in the buffer was not a line end. However, I
never bothered to actually track this down, esp. since - again - this does not
affect RKWard, as far as I am aware.

---

(*) E.g., try pasting the following into an R session on the console:

{
x <- "This statement is without a point"
x <- "This statement is without a point"
x <- "This statement is without a point"
[...] # repeat this line ~100 times
x <- "This statement is without a point"
x <- "This statement is without a point"
}

The same without curly braces will not trigger the bug.