[rkward-users] [Help] RE: t-Test with Groups?

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 16 02:51:55 UTC 2012

The following forum message was posted by kklein at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/forums/forum/165574/topic/5521778:

Ah, but it works on my main installation (also a Mac with 10.7.x, but installed
the "long" way through MacPorts). It does not, however, run a t-test, so it
doesn't really help me with my class, although it's nice to be able to do ANOVAs
in RKWard now.

I have added the linked mime directory to the "fast" installation on the VM,
and have not seen the MIME errors again. The only caveat to the installation
of those files, though, is very weird: The unarchiving utility bundled in MacOS
does not like that .zip file. It decompresses it to another compressed file
of type .cpgz. Then, when you decompress that, it just makes another copy of
the .zip! Ad infinitum.

If you use the popular The UnArchiver freeware utility to decompress (most power
users use this--as far as I know, it just makes calls to the BSD archive tools,
rather than rolling its own), it works fine.

Decompressing with The UnArchiver to a folder, and then re-compressing it with
the MacOS, however, results in the same weird .cpgz behavior! There are some
baffled threads about this around the 'net. Even making a new folder called
"mime" in MacOS and just moving the contents in, and then compressing, results
in the same. Crazy.

It is looking like the safest way to go on the Mac is still the MacPorts
installation, unsurprisingly, although I will still probably recommend the .dmg
route to the students, as what we need it to do, it largely does, and if it
doesn't, they can just type out the code in the console.

BTW, I'd be happy to test out Mac versions of RKWard. I have access to machines
running 10.6 through 10.8. I'm afraid I'm pretty hopeless with actually diagnosing
code, though.