[rkward-users] RCurl and Rkward on windows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 7 13:25:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 07 October 2011, Mischa Vreeburg wrote:
> Do you know what is wrong with the dll loading of RCurl in the current
> version of Rkward on windows?
> I get this result
>
> > library('RCurl')

> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>   unable to load shared object
> 'C:/Users/Public/Programs/RKWard/R/library/RCurl/libs/i386/RCurl.dll':
>   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified procedure could not be found.

confirmed. Did this work for you any time in the past? If so, do you have an
idea, which versions of KDE, RKWard and R you were using?

The issue appears to be that both RKWard, and RCurl link against different
versions of libeay32.dll. Unfortunately, the two versions appear to be
incompatible.

The issue would _probably_ go away, if RCurl was built against (and shipped
with) a more recent libeay32.dll. On the RKWard side, I'm not really sure,
where the library comes in (this is a split-out from libssl, as far as I
understand). Perhaps we might be able to avoid the problem by further trimming
down the libraries that the rkward.rbackend.exe is linked against. Currently,
this includes kdecore, mostly in order to provide a few translatable strings.
It probably makes sense to try to trim that down to just QtNetwork and QtCore.

Will not be fixed for the upcoming 0.5.7 release, I fear.