[rkward-users] Quick survey: RKWard on Windows 7

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon May 9 10:56:45 UTC 2011

Hi!

Recently, we have received two independent reports of users not getting RKWard
to work on Windows 7, despite trying several variants of the installation.
Unfortunately, I have access to only one Windows 7 machine. RKWard installs
runs smoothly on that machine.

I would like to get an idea of just how prevalent this sort of major problems
is on Windows 7, and hopefully get some pointers as to what might be causing
these problems. Therefore, if you have ever tried using (successfully or not)
RKWard on Windows 7, I would like to ask you for a minute of your time with
the following short questions.

(If you don't know the answers to some, and don't have the time to look them
up, feel free to omit them. A partial answer is better than no answer.)

1) Did RKWard work for you at all on Windows 7? I.e. were you able to start
it, and use some basic functionality at all? (Of course all bug reports are
always welcome, but this particular question is about complete failure to
function, only).
1b) If RKWard did not work for you at all, did you see any error messages that
you can provide?

2) Which exact version of Windows 7 are/were you using ("Home Premium",
"Ultimate", whatever). 32bit or 64bit?

3) Which language/locale do you use in the Windows 7 installation?

4) Does the user account name that you use on Windows 7 contain any spaces?

5) Which brand(s) of Anti-Virus / Firewall software do you have installed?

6) Which version of R, KDE, and RKWard did you try? Did you use the "complete
installation bundle" to install all three, or did you use the individual
installers?

Thanks for you help!