[rkward-users] Debugging

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat May 29 08:46:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 26 May 2010, Luc Villandre wrote:
> I have been trying to debug one of my functions and
> I haven't been exactly very satisfied with the debugger. I find it
> frustrating how, at least for now, it would seem that when the debugging
> window pops up, the rest of the program freezes until the debugging
> phase is over. Also, the type of display used by the debugger doesn't
> allow for color coding and for an increase in the font size. Would there
> be a way to change that?

no, unfortunately, there are no hidden features like this. This area simply
hasn't received too much love so far. We do plan to turn this into a "real"
debugger, eventually, including syntax highlighting, inspection of the call
stack, local objects, etc. But don't hold your breath, currently some other
issues have higher priority.

> Is there a way to tell the program to run the debugger in the R-terminal
> window? What I would like in fact is for the program to allow me to
> access the browser just as if I was running R in a regular terminal
> window (outside Rkward).

No, there is not. The R console in RKWard is just an emulation, and that
feature would need to be programmed into it. Besides, this is not quite
trivial, conceptually: In a GUI like RKWard, the console does not play the
central role that it has in a standalone R terminal. Not all commands get
entered through the console, but they may also come from plugins, the
data.frame editor, help search, etc. This could create the situation, that R
is waiting for user input on the R console, but the user just isn't aware of
that, and all other commands will just wait forever. Thus we need to make sure
that requests for user input from the backend are always highly visible.

So, while I can see your point, I am not sure this is a good way to handle
interactive user input situations.