[rkward-users] [Help] How do I create matrix error bars?

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue May 11 03:13:19 UTC 2010

The following forum message was posted by kayve at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/forums/forum/165574/topic/3704541:

THis is what I used to do.. example.. doing a time course.. the columns were like exel spreadsheet but this was not excel.  It was called SigmaPlot but it is very expensive.  I have acquiesced to the reality that I am going to have to figure out data import.. I have to create files instead of a spreadsheet.  But this is how I would do my time couse data:

  Time points (minutes)     1 mi (moles)  2 m (moles) 5 m (moles) 10 m (moles) 20m  50m
      1                                    23                  40                    59               112          156      198
      2                                    25                  44                    55               118          153      201
      5                                    26                  41                    56               115          159      205
     10                                   22                  42                    54               111          160      200
     20
     50

The plot is created like a vector and a matrix, for lack of a better explanation.. the x axis follows the \"time points\" column, and then error bars are computed by averaging the subsequent columns.  The data in the column \"1 mi (moles)\" i.e. 23, 25, 26, 22 are averaged and plotted on the 1 minute time point and so on.  That is how I always did the data.  Is this a scatter plot?  I started doing the regressions sometimes, or there was a function that drew a line that was \"bezier\" I guess or just \"connect the dots\" That is the sort of plot I like to do.  I don\'t like to calculate the averages and make error bars. does this application do this?  I am talking about taking empirical data, not creating a theoretical curve here, unless it is a regression line that tries to fit the data.