[rkward-users] [Help] Install from source on ML 2010.1

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 15 06:10:58 UTC 2010

The following forum message was posted by hmhxmu at http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/forums/forum/165574/topic/4014040:

I'm a user of Mandriva Linux 2010.1 on an x86_64 desktop.
ML 10.1 RPM packages provide R 2.11.0 and rkward 0.5.3.

Unfortunately some recent R packages I use need the upgrade to 2.12.0,
(and also upgraded rkward since it needed to be reinstalled from source,
AFAIK) so I needed to compile from source, but this being foreign to me,
I prefer to keep the system packaged version and rkward as well,
until the new install is successful.

I have just installed R version 2.12.0 from source (to /usr/local/bin/R,
with library location /home/mhudson/R-2.12.0/library/)
and Rkward from source to version 0.5.4 following
[url]https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=Building_RKWa
rd_From_Source[/url]
and INSTALL guidance, configuring as:

[mhudson at penguin build]$ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix`
-DR_EXECUTABLE=/usr/local/bin/R
-DR_LIBDIR=/home/mhudson/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.12

followed by make and make install.
Install seemed OK, but there are problems on running rkward (see below)
related to linking R package libraries. Note also the "R- 2.11.0",
which is the ML10.1 r-base.

[mhudson at penguin build]$ rkward --v
Qt: 4.6.2
KDE Development Platform: 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)
RKWard: 0.5.4

--------------------
Installation appears to be complete (unfortunately it is hard to tell in
CMake).
Consider running
    make plugintests
for some automated functionality tests.
In case of errors, consult the file 'INSTALL'.
--------------------
[mhudson at penguin build]$ rkward --help
Usage: rkward [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] [File]

Frontend to the R statistics language

Generic options:
  --help                    Show help about options
  --help-qt                 Show Qt specific options
  --help-kde                Show KDE specific options
  --help-all                Show all options
  --author                  Show author information
  -v, --version             Show version information
  --license                 Show license information
  --                        End of options

  --evaluate <Rcode>        After starting (and after loading the specified
workspace, if applicable), evaluate the given R code.
  --debug-level <level>     Verbosity of debug messages (0-5) [2]
  --debug-flags <flags>     Mask for components to debug (see debug.h) [8191]
  --debugger <command>      Debugger (enclose any debugger arguments in single
quotes ('') together with the command)
  --disable-stack-check     Disable R C stack checking

Arguments:
  File                      R workspace file to open
[mhudson at penguin build]$ rkward --v
Qt: 4.6.2
KDE Development Platform: 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)
RKWard: 0.5.4
[mhudson at penguin build]$ rkward &
[1] 2817
[mhudson at penguin build]$ Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'/usr/local/lib64/R/library/methods/libs/methods.so':
  /usr/local/lib64/R/library/methods/libs/methods.so: undefined symbol:
R_tryEvalSilent
In addition: Warning message:
package 'methods' was built under R version 2.12.0

R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
Copyright (C) 2010 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

Any advice would be much appreciated.

tia

Malcolm