[rkward-users] ggplot2 in ubuntu?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Tue Nov 24 07:11:45 UTC 2009

On 2009 m. Lapkritis 19 d., ketvirtadienis 14:17:49 meik michalke wrote:
> hi donatas,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 18. November 2009 21:04:03 schrieb Donatas G.:
> > I checked and true, there is no package with keyword ggplot2 in
> > ubuntu repositories...
> >
> > Should I switch to R from R-cran repositories, or what should I do?
>
> you probably just need this certain package, not a whole new R
>  installation. try the "configure packages" dialog under "settings" to
>  install ggplot2. you probably first have to define a local destination for
>  R-libs (like "$HOME/R"), so first hit the "configure repositories" button
>  and check your settings.

Thank you for suggesting that. I finall found out that ggplot2 deb package is
nowhere to be found, so I had to resort to installing from within R. Which is
not my favorite method, since I like to manage all programs with the package
manager only.

The rkward interface did not seem to work (it did not produce any output about
what it was doing in the details window for quite a while) or I was just too
impatient. then I tried using the default method

install.packages("ggplot2", dependencies = TRUE)

R told me it is gonna install a host of other packages (172 mb in all -
checked after the installer exited). Then it showed me all the progress (the
thing that was potentially missing in Rkward, although there might have been
more missing - like the installation itself).

I also had to run R as root to be able to install the packages systemwide on
/usr/local/lib/R/site-packages/

Donatas