[rkward-users] rkward in Kubuntu Intrepid beta broken

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 06:01:50 UTC 2008

Hi Users,

The problem with R 2.8.0 is something different. Provided below is a
mail from Michael who maintains the ubuntu packages on CRAN. Similar
problem has also been reported on SuSE. I am not aware of any
solution, but something does need to be done to fix this. Unless you
really need R 2.8.0, I suggest pinning R 2.7.2 version as available
from CRAN.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Donatas G. <dgvirtual at akl.lt> wrote:
> Hi, RKWard in Ubuntu Intrepid Beta is currently broken: when you install
> a *.deb package for intrepid from the ubuntu repositories (or compile it
> yourselt the Debian way by taking sources either from ubuntu
> repositories or from the sourceforge.net rkward debian repository) you
> get Rkward without the Main menu and without the the "Welcome to RKward"
> page.... Also, without the "Help" menu!
>
> But if you compile it yourself with a simple sequence:
>
> cd rkward_source_dir
> cmake .
> make
> sudo make install
>
> Rkward looks normal, only missing some icons...
>
> I guess that means that there is an error in rkward sources, maybe
> related to the former Kubuntu place to KDE4 packages...

Michael says:

========================
I maintain Ubuntu packages on CRAN for amd64.  Today, the new version of
R (2.8.0) came out, and I am unable to build an rkward package based
around 2.8.0.  Turns out the decision has been made to remove Rdevices.h
and Rgraphics.h from the installed portion of R.  They still exist in
the source code, however.  Since Rdevices.h is not available to ubuntu,
the build fails under hardy and intrepid.  Same problem with the package
rpy.

Not sure what the fix is, but at this point I think we are going to
release R 2.8.0 builds for ubuntu without an update to rkward.  Would
have found this sooner, but testing packages is one of the last things
on the list.

Thanks,
Michael