rk.gitInstall not installing itself?

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed May 4 22:47:03 BST 2022

nabend,

Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2022, 22:43:43 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> I was going to take a fresh look at rk.gitInstall, thinking it may be
> worth including into the official releases (so we could more easily
> instruct users to test new stuff; would also come in handy for
> rk.Teaching).

sure :)

> However, test-installing that, rk.gitInstall somehow does not seem to
> install its "inst" folder at all.

i can replicate the issue, but the problem does not affect all components of
inst (its *content* is supposed to be installed, not the folder itself): it
does indeed install inst/CITATION, inst/NEWS.Rd and inst/screenshots/, but
neither the inst/rkward dir nor the R dir.

that's odd, rk.ANOVA for instance installs just fine, and also do the
precompiled packages (macOS, windows and even the debian package) of
rk.gitInstall. also, if you manually download the source package from the
latest release tag

  https://github.com/rkward-community/rk.gitInstall/releases/tag/0.01-2

and do call

  install.packages("/path/to/rk.gitInstall-0.01-2.tar.gz", repos=NULL)

it installs correctly.

but the source package in our repo

  https://mirror.faigner.de/kde/files/rkward/R/pckg/rk.gitInstall/index.html

is also missing R and inst/rkward (the binary packages do not!), and

  devtools::install_github("rkward-community/rk.gitInstall")

also doesn't install those directories. why? i have no clue... during
installation, install_github() notes:

   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/R’
   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/inst/rkward/plugins’
   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/inst/rkward/po/de/LC_MESSAGES’
   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/inst/rkward/po/de’
   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/inst/rkward/po’
   Removed empty directory ‘rk.gitInstall/inst/rkward’

but those directories are *not* empty in the master branch. it doesn't help to
use the develop branch either.

> Peeking around for differences, I notice you have added "_PACKAGE" to some
> other packages' R files. Could that be what's missing?

no, that's there:

https://github.com/rkward-community/rk.gitInstall/blob/master/R/rk.gitInstall-package.R

btw, it is there for roxygen2 only, which doesn't render documentation if it
is not followed by actual R code (function, class definition etc.). to make it
unnecessary to put an empty function at the end of this special meta file that
an R package needs, roxygen2 more elegantly does also render it if the key
string "_PACKAGE" is found.

i'll have to investigate what's going on here.