proposal to re-work the welcome page

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Sun May 1 13:51:47 BST 2022

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:29:01 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> ok, but i still think we should make installing plugin packages more
> obvious/ accessible. the current link opens a summary with more
> links, and the dialog you reach from there is just configuring the
> use of wizards of already installed plugins, and from there you get
> to the config to (de)activate already installed plugins. only if you
> explore a little you might get to the installation dialog. it's well
> hidden ;)

I rather agree with the problem statement.

> perhaps we should distance ourselves from the fact that these are
> ordinary R packages, when it comes to the way users are able to
> manage them. that is, not (at least: only) put them among all other R
> packages, but dedicate a tab to them exclusively, instead of only a
> checkbox, or even a standalone dialog window. i think that should be
> accessible from the dashboard.

Hm. I'd like to point out that we've been moving the plugin
installation here and there, over the years. As a matter of fact, at
one time, our plugins were all independent from R packages, both
technically, and UI-wise. IIRC, merging the two was partially in the
hope of making RKWard add-on installation more discoverable...

True, this time around, the new dashboard will help, but I still fail
to see a full plan on how to really organize all plugin related
settings/actions, reasonably.

What we have:
  - Configuring R repositories and library locations
  - Installing / updating / uninstalling R packages
  - Installing / updating / uninstalling RKWard plugins (currently same
    as R packages)
  (- Configuring _RKWard_ repositories?)

Each of these needs to go somewhere (I'm omitting the wizard vs. dialog
setting, as probably it should really simply be a "general" setting),
and also they should probably be cross-linked, but where, exactly, and
how exactly?

--

In other news, what do you think of the new Import Data Assistant? I
created it mostly because I felt importing data should be accessible