rkward-devel Digest, Vol 86, Issue 12

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Sun Jul 31 18:59:06 BST 2022

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 16:48:30 +0000
Anders Fridberger <anders.fridberger at liu.se> wrote:
> Hello
> I downloaded #44. The log files are attached

Thanks.

It remains a bit of a mystery, but maybe we are slowly closing in.

The regular startup proceedure involves:

1) frontend creates a QLocalServer (i.e. domain socket)
2) frontend invokes the backend executable
3) backend generates a verification token and sends it via stdout
4) backend connects to the socket, and sends the same token again via
that connection (to prove it's the called process that is connecting)
5) frontend reads the verification token from stdin <- THIS NEVER
HAPPENS
6) frontend receives the incoming connection, compares the tokens
received, and closes the server <- never reached, because frontend is
stuck at step 5

Some experiments to try:

- Run with --debug-level 5, once more. To make sure, we have a complete
  picture.
- Click "Cancel" in the startup dialog, and wait a bit longer. Does an
  error message pop up?
- Now select "Restart backend" from the hamburger menu in the bottom
  right corner. Does the backend start up on this second attempt?