Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6 (Thomas Friedrichsmeier)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Fri Jul 29 16:53:18 BST 2022

Am Fri, 29 Jul 2022 14:32:51 +0000
schrieb Anders Fridberger <anders.fridberger at liu.se>:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the Appimage, but the result
> is similar. The R backend dies. I ran it at debugging level 5 and got
> the same error as before in the log file:
>
> Output type 2: Error: C stack usage  140726971572452 is too close to
> the limit

Ok. This is just the "final" symptom, however, things start going wrong
much earlier (and earlier indeed, than I have realized, previously), at:

Trace:
/data/home/anders/Coding/rkward-0.7.4/rkward/rbackend/rktransmitter.cpp
- function disconnected line 266

(line number is different in the appimage, but same issue).

It seems like the local socket that the frontend and backend process
use for communication does not work. I suspect that may be some
permission problem, here.

Unfortunately, the debug code that is supposed to provide some details
on this does not appear to write to rkward.frontend. I suspect it gets
written to stderr, instead. Could you run as:

  rkward --debug-level 4 --debug-output terminal 2> output.log

and post output.log (the relevant lines will be around the search string
"--server-name"), which should show, where creating the socket is
attempted?

> This time, there was an additional error message when rkward exited:
>
> [489835:7:0729/161355.501350:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(141)]
> ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send
> GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.

Probably something form QWebEngine. I'm not sure whether this is
something to worry about, but definitely looks like an unrelated
problem.

> I should perhaps mention that I'm running this on our server by
> tunneling the display to my mac using thinlinc
> (https://www.cendio.com, this is basically an implementation of VNC).

That could play a role, but again, I suspect a permission problem.