proposal: permanent dialog setting templates

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net
Thu Jul 14 21:32:47 BST 2022

Am Tue, 12 Jul 2022 11:19:22 +0200
schrieb meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de>:
> we have run again links, which is a great feature. i was wondering if
> it was useful to allow these settings also to be stored apart from an
> output file. a use case i have in mind is new dialogs to create
> RMarkdown files from templates with previously stored user data, so
> you don't have to fill in your name and other standard stuff you
> usually want to be in that document. but it can also be helpful in
> other cases.

I haven't really formed a clear opinion on this, yet. The feature
sounds useful, indeed. As for the implementation, I don't expect major
difficulties (and yes, this would work for all plugin dialogs without
the need for case-by-case adjustments). I'll ignore that aspect for the
minute, and focus on something else instead:

What does give me a bit of a headache is the UI. I fear, we are a bit
on the complex side, already. This feature add to that, and may not
be entirely self-explanatory, either. We'll probably also want to add a
"Reset" feature at the same time (bringing the dialog back to
defaults), and let's not forget about the capability to remove stale
templates.

Of course we could hide most of it behind a single hamburger button?

Further points that would need consideration: If we allow for several
templates per dialog, is one of them loaded by default, when opening the
dialog? Is one of them saved, automatically (aka "most recent
settings")? And would that auto-saving happen only on "Submit" (least
surprising behavior) or also on "Close" (useful with previews)?

And somewhat unrelated, but while we're at it:
- Would it make sense to remove the "Close" button (since you can also
  simply close the dialog, as any regular window)?
- Where (if anywhere) would the "Auto close"-checkbox go?