updated plugin rk.gitInstall

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Nov 2 12:44:33 GMT 2018

hi,

Am Freitag, 26. Oktober 2018, 08:26:48 CET schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 16:38:43 +0200
> meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > what's the status with regards to includig this feature in RKWard?
>
> I suppose the status is/was "forgotten"...

:-D

> One nitpick about the UI: I think the typical case will be that users
> have a github/lab URL, not username and repository.

both are madatory parts of the URL, though.

> So I'd suggest to default to "git (generic)", and -perhaps- rename "Github"
> to "Github (username and repository)".

i changed the default, but didn't rename the option. i think it's obvious
enough when you see the dialog.

> Regarding inclusion by only worry would be whether it causes yet more
> clutter in the Settings-menu. Perhaps it would make most sense as a
> "hidden" plugin that is accessible from within "Manage R packages and
> plugins", somehow?

yeah, it's clearly package management. i'd say it would best fit the second
tab (install/update/remove R packages). either by adding a button and opening
a new dialog, or by maybe adding a radio button to select if you want to
install from package repositories (default) or a git repository.

is it probably a good idea to keep track of packages that were successfully
installed this way so that RKWard could offer to use the same settings again
to fetch updates?

i.e., if you have the plugin installed, you should be able to update via this
rkward link:

rkward://runplugin/Installfromgit::cmp_InstallfromgitInstllfrmgt/
frm_Prvtrpst.checked=0%0AgitRepo.text=rk.gitInstall%0AgitUser.text=rkward-
community%0Ainp_Cmmttgbr.text=develop%0Ainp_Sbdrctry.text=
%0ApackageSource.string=github

(i removed the "current_file" info that was part of the link although the
plugin doesn't use it).