On ~/.rkward/library

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Apr 24 10:27:07 UTC 2018

hi,

Am Dienstag, 24. April 2018, 11:17:18 CEST schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> I have just pushed a commit to offer R_LIBS_USER as standard installation
> location, instead of ~/.rkward/library. The advantages are that
>
> a) This in line with what standalone R does.

+1

> b) The directory is versioned, so packages built for R 3.4 will not be
> seen by R 3.5 (and vice-versa).

is that limited to certain platforms or coming with 3.5.0? i don't see any
versioning in my R_LIBS_USER.

> One remaining concern is what to do with an existing ~/.rkward/library.
> I do want to continue supporting custom installation locations, but
> probably if ~/.rkward/library is found among those, RKWard should
> probably suggest to remove it?

it could try to "move" it to R_LIBS_USER, by freshly installing all packages
to the new location, and only remove ~/.rkward/library if that was successful.
without the versioning mentioned above it could also actually move packages
directly, if the targets do not exist yet.

or is that asking for trouble?