Indentation script for R

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 8 10:13:07 UTC 2017

Hi Pierre,

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 21:41:11 +1300
Pierre de Villemereuil <pierre.de.villemereuil at mailoo.org> wrote:
> I grew tired of hitting Tab far too often, so I've been working on a
> R indentation file for Kate (well, for RKward really):
> https://github.com/devillemereuil/rindent

thanks a lot for sharing your work, and sorry for the delayed reply!

Personally I could never get used to automatic indentation at all, and
just turn it off. So I am not really qualified to test and comment.

By the same token, I never tried to develop an indentation script, and
would not be able to spot even obvious omissions. But what I can say is
that your script looks cleanly written. As a random nitpick, I suggest
merging the common portion "!lastLine.endsWith('<-')" of the two ifs
around line 197.

All that said, the proper place for your script _is_ the "ktexteditor"
component, i.e. the component used by Kate _and_ RKWard (and many
others). While arguably, it will matter to RKWard, most, there are
also people coding R in kate, for instance. Also, more importantly, this
is where developers will find it, in case they need to do maintenance /
improvements on _all_ indentation scripts.

If this is not too much to ask, then, I suggest you submit your work as
a review request on
https://phabricator.kde.org/differential/diff/create/, against the
ktexteditor repoistory. This will get the right people to look at it.
Consider adding "RKWard-Devel-list" in CC of your request. Should this
be rejected as "too specialized for ktexteditor" (I do _not_ think that
will happen), we'll include it in RKWard, instead.